A Brief History of the College
In 1878 the Good Samaritan Sisters opened a High School in Pitt Street Sydney. From 1881 students were prepared for university entrance examinations. In 1901 St Scholastica’s College moved from Pitt Street (which became the site of Central Railway) to Glebe Point. The gates from Pitt Street were erected at the new site. The Glebe Point property, known as Toxteth Park Estate, was formerly owned by George Wigram Allen. The Good Samaritan Congregational Centre now occupies the original home.
On 16 October 1901 Cardinal Moran laid the foundation stone for the new school building. Wychwood Cottage was purchased in 1925 and after a long tradition of fostering talented musicians, now houses the Independent Learning Centre. In 1931 the Sisters built the Polding Memorial Chapel; in 1941 the current Boarding College was built. The College grew over the following decades; the first stage of our current Master Plan saw the completion and opening of the Trixie Forest Multi Purpose Centre in 2004. Further stages have seen the expansion of classroom, library, staff and specialist teaching facilities, with a new library/technology resource centre opening in March 2009.
St Scholastica’s is one of a network of eleven Good Samaritan schools located in Australia and Japan; the College also has links with Wayo Kudan Girls’ High School in Tokyo.